Monday 8 March 2010

DO dance the Macarena in a country that will never understand it

This lovely suggestion was courtesy of Dave Pedder, and I managed to do it to full effect at a Thai school full of bemused 11 year olds.

While we were at the Elephant Park we spent a day visiting the local school, which was a fantastic experience but basically involved them plonking us in a classroom and walking off. Having thoroughly exhausted the limits of their English (through about 20 games of hangman) we were frantically scrabbling around for ideas when I decided to bestow upon them the cultural treasure that is the Macarena.

I have never seen anything funnier in my life than 30 Thai kids standing on their chairs wiggling about and shouting "eyyyyyy macarena" at the top of their lungs. Some of the boys didn't quite get the hang of the moves so decided just to spend the next half hour shouting the words over and over again, which I'm sure was a delight for their teachers next lesson.

Absolutely wonderful kids though, so kind, polite and friendly (even though I did catch a cold off the snotty kindergarteners)

No comments:

Post a Comment